We have just made a momentous decision. Abby was scheduled to have another operation to correct the rolling in of her feet that has been there since her osteotomies in June 2012. We opted not to do the further tibial osteotomies two years ago when this procedure was suggested because Abby was not ready to undergo another year-long rehab and recovery.
Then in December, 15 doctors convened and spoke with us. Though they were not all in agreement that this next surgery should happen, the majority did recommend it. So, we scheduled the surgery. However, I decided to take Abby to see a doctor at the rehab facility that she was at after her last big surgery. The doctor is a rehab doctor rather than a surgeon.
She looked at Abby as a person rather than just as bones. Abby has recently moved from a special small classroom into a regular classroom. She now has friends and new academic challenges. The doctor and her colleagues agreed that to take her out of this environment would not be good. Waiting until she starts to experience pain and then scheduling the osteotomies is their suggestion.
Abby and I liked that, so we have canceled the surgery until it is necessary.
- May 22, 2016Abby Update May 2016(0) Comments
- June 28, 2014And it's another year later...(1) Comments
- June 27, 2013It's been a year...(0) Comments
- May 10, 2013An update after a hiatus...(0) Comments
- March 21, 2013Abby has finished the intensive therapy phase!(0) Comments
- February 27, 2013Some Videos(2) Comments
- February 18, 2013Looking back...(0) Comments
- January 29, 2013It's been a long time(19) Comments
- October 23, 2012This chapter is nearly at an end(2) Comments
- October 14, 2012Abby is REALLY walking by herself!(8) Comments